Friday, March 17, 2006

How bizarre, how bizarre

A couple of weeks ago there was a brief article in one of the local papers about an outcry in a nearby market town because an ‘historic’ Wellingtonia tree had been lopped. This tree, the townsfolk said, was believed to have been planted in 1642 as part of a row to mark the route King Charles took after his ‘defeat’ at the Civil War battle of Edgehill. I couldn’t let that pass. Not only was Edgehill considered to be a draw, with neither Royalists nor Parliamentarians claiming victory, but the Wellingtonia is native to California, and the first specimens weren’t introduced into Britain until 1853. So I put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and wrote* to the Editor to tell him so.

This week my letter was printed, and shortly after breakfast the phone rang, and a total stranger congratulated me on my letter! I have my first fan!

*No, I didn’t sign it ‘Pedantic of Warwickshire’

0 comments: