Sunday, April 02, 2006

Hello teacher, tell me whats my lesson

An article in today’s paper sent my blood pressure through the roof and plunged me into the deepest, blackest despair. We were given two exam questions:

“I am in the middle of my exams and am going to be taking ___ in June.”

Which word would best fit the space:
A. those
B. them
C. this
D. it


And
“On the map, the distance from the port to the destination is 27 centimetres. The scale is 2 centimetres to 5 kilometres. The actual distance is ?

A. 2.7km
B. 10.8km
C. 67.5km
D. 135km


I know there are some 8-year olds who’d have difficulty tackling those questions, but most 11-year-olds shouldn’t find them too taxing. So what the fuck* are they doing in GCSE papers?

*Sorry, I know that’s a very rude swear but I’m incandescent with rage. They expect us to believe that exams aren't being 'dumbed down' and that children are getting cleverer and educational standards are improving? I've never heard such a load of bollocks in my life. It was bad enough a decade ago when there was an exposé revealing that a 1970's maths O-level question had turned up in a 1980's A-level paper, but to have 11+-style questions in GCSE papers is just outrageous.

0 comments: