Saturday, September 11, 2010

Don't you tell it to the breeze

As well as trying to grow unusual plants I like Thai food, so my latest gardening experiment is to grow lemongrass. The idea was given to me when watching Gardeners' World (compulsory Friday night viewing for Oldies!) - it hadn't occurred to me before that it could be done. You can get packets of lemongrass seeds in garden centres, but googling showed me a far more interesting way of propogating it; simply buy some from the greengrocery section of the supermarket - yes, the pallid, naked sticklike things that have been trimmed to within an inch of their lives - and stand them in a jar of water on the windowsill. I tried it, and couldn't believe how fast the roots started to appear from what looked like a hopeless stump.

After one week in water



After two weeks in water; time to pot on



Transferred to pots



After one week in the pot; doing okay!



After two weeks in the pot the roots are still developing



Four weeks from when I bought them - starting to sprout out.


They're growing at a tremendous rate - about a centimetre a day at the moment! Soon they'll need potting on into bigger premises and hopefully by next year they'll be quite nice ornamental clumps for the patio.

In spring I'll be having a bash at ginger as well ...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking very good indeedy! I'm going to have a go at that. I tried Ginger and it was quite easy :)

omally said...

Heh, such a lovely song when sung by Sandy Denny :)

Lovely Triffids by the way!

Mort said...

Crikey madam! They're very impressive.

And Gardener's World is compulsory viewing for me as well!

Lord Hutton said...

Will try this

Vera said...

Will have a go myself when I next see Lemon Grass. Didn't know you could also grow ginger, so am popping over to YouTube to see if someone has posted a bit of info as to how one does just that.

Cottage Smallholder said...

Wow Jan

I'm going to try this too - thanks for the tip.