Wednesday, June 08, 2011

I didn't know what day it was

May 15th

Heathrow Terminal 5 is a disaster. Despite being built only recently it's shabby, dated and user-unfriendly. It was obviously designed by someone who flies a lot and so knows the ropes, and who is wealthy or well-connected enough not to have to fly cattle-class. They really should have tested it out on guinea-pigs like us who haven't a clue - and we weren't the only ones getting confused.

1. Why on earth would you have direction signs for Baggage Reclaim (which you're not allowed to go to before being dealt with by immigration) before you get to the signs for Immigration?

2. Why on earth aren't the signs for UK/EU passports and Other passports clearly differentiated?

3. Why don't the new biometric passport-recognition machines, designed to save time, work? (To be fair, passport photos are bad enough, but after a 10-hour night flight you look even worse than your picture.)

4. Why, once you've negotiated Immigration (1 person manning two desks, with two people on another, isn't efficient) and make your way to Baggage Reclaim (the directions for which are harder to find now that you need them) is there no large, clear sign as soon as you enter the huge hall as to which carousel your luggage should be deposited on?

After the comfort, cleanliness and efficiency of Vancouver airport, this is an embarrassment.

4 comments:

omally said...

Ah, but this country is run by The Many for The Few, whereas lots of other countries are run by The Many for The All.
I remember when I came back from Oz how dirty and unhelpful I found the UK to be. I'm afraid it's all down to the 'I'm Alright Jack, I'm Clocking Off At Dead On 5' British mentality.

silver horde said...

We had an immigration officer leave her desk on the dot of her shift end time. I felt sorry for her. 40 or more pairs of eyes glaring at her for leaving us waiting in a huge line!! But I guess she'd never leave if she waited for a break in the traffic! That was at LAX. But I agree T5 is horrendous!! I have several rants too long for here about T5!! The worse is that it spoils your memory of the holiday at that last moment!! Jane

Anonymous said...

Hey, how else would you know that you're back in England.

I've been out of T5 3 times now, and I must admit, compared to some airports I've flown from, the terminal doesn't look at all elegant.

Better go and pack... off to Belfast in 3 hours, flying from Southampton, and into Belfast City... both are small, are by comparison to LHR, pleasant and friendly!

Paul B

Sol said...

I felt like that when we flew back from Ottawa. So dirty. I felt ashamed. You couldnt see the pavement for gum.

To come from a country where they seem so proud of their land. it really was a bumpy landing for is.