Sunday, April 10, 2005

I can see for miles and miles and miles and miles

Although we weren’t able to join the BlogRingers' Outing the The Forbidden Corner, we still had a very satisfactory day, doing domestic sort of stuff around here. Ned cut the grass and took the old death-trap lawnmower to the tip while I weeded and mulched with some of the compost from the bin. We have a ‘little man’ coming to replace the fencing in the back garden on Thursday, so it’s quite important that the compost is out of the way. (I’m having to be very careful and not call this chap Mr O’Reilly – he reminds me so much of the builder in Fawlty Towers that Basil kept employing much to the fury of Sybil.) I also got around to planting the Oriental Poppy and Coreopsis I’ve had in the greenhouse all winter, so maybe they’ll get established now that at least some of the ground elder is out. If only ground elder was a fashionable plant to grow – I can guarantee all mine would instantly die and I wouldn’t be breaking my back every year trying to rid myself of the damned plant.

Then we went to a pub for lunch, but it was too busy and we only had a pint before we came home to get something here. On the way back we stopped off to see if there was a cache-spot near Spring Hill, by Sun Rising (great place names, eh?). As you walk across the field from the road the most fantastic view opens up in front of you, getting wider and wider. At the stile the view is absolutely breathtaking, and on a clear day (like today) you can see way past Coventry to the right, the Malverns on the left, and either the Long Mynd or The Wrekin ahead – and they’re about 60 miles away as the albatross flies. It’s just so amazing we’re dying to share it – but can we find a nice spot? But we’ll keep trying!

0 comments: