Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Red and yellow and pink and green

I could be a good painter. Not great, but certainly in the good-to-saleable range. My skills are very rusty and I’d need to do a hell of a lot of work and practice to get back up to speed but I could do it – if I had a painter’s soul. To become really good takes a high degree of selfishness; letting nothing, absolutely nothing, distract you from your goal. Nothing else could take priority.

But I could never have that degree of self-centredness because I have a family and home to care for which are simply more important to me. I can no more let them fend for themselves than I can swing gracefully from the topmost twigs in the trees. I realise I’ll never be more than a dabbler – a better than average dabbler maybe – an amateur. And to completely prove the point, I don’t really mind that I haven’t got What It Takes to be great. So I'll happily continue dabbling and daubing because it's fun, but I'm not kidding myself that the results will be the mainstay of the Bananana Factory.

0 comments: