Thursday, January 12, 2006

Gone fishin'

As we're still waiting for Ned to be paid December's salary, it was deemed sensible to start eating some of the stores from the freezer, to make a change from the pauper's meals I've been producing (lentils and rice are nourishing and tasty, but bad for the ozone layer). So I burrowed down and emerged clutching some sardines in tomato-and-pepper sauce. "Yum!" we'd thought when we bought them, and "Yum!" I thought when I put them on to cook. They smelled jolly nice, if somewhat fishy, as they cooked and I prepared the accompanying vegetables.

Then "Yuck!" we thought as we scraped the barely-sampled fish into the bin. I don't think they were real fish. I think they were blocks of salt cunningly designed to resemble fish. Totally inedible. Too salty even for the dogs. And the few mouthfuls we managed are repeating ...

0 comments: