Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Another one bites the dust

The dogs barked as the boy pushed the local paper through the letterbox. I went to collect it and scanned the headlines while I prepared supper. "New bridge not wanted, say residents"; "The Mop comes to town"; then, in a corner I saw "Village youth dies on B4451" It was a shock to read that yet another young village lad has been killed in a car accident.

I read on - who was it? Then I spotted the name - not a lad I know personally but I know his dad and we always chat whenever we meet. The boy was his only child, and like many teenage boys had been 'challenging' for some years and had been living on the edge, as they say. His father is an honest, hard-working man who really doesn't deserve this blow.

Is this a national phenomenon or is this village cursed in some way? With a total population of only 3,000 we lose on average one teenager a year killed on the roads, and always around this time of year. It affects the whole village, because when you've seen them grow up from babyhood they become part of your extended family, and the whole community mourns.

Rest in peace, Craig.

0 comments: