Sunday, August 01, 2010

At a bar called O'Malley's

In the past I've often tried growing a pineapple plant from the tufty leaves at the top of a bought fruit, but never succeeded. However our latest attempt seems to have been successful!



As you can see it's already slipping baby plants, which we might try snapping off and growing on when they get large enough.

I know that they used to be grown in the 'big houses' but I assumed that you'd need a hothouse if they were to fruit. But then we came across this site where a chap from Surrey has catalogued his endeavours, which has given us hope that it might, just might, eventually bear fruit.

We're not holding our breath though!

6 comments:

Max said...

Will you get a single pineapple or do you need to wait for a tree?

Lord Hutton said...

I have a huge avocado tree, grown from a stone, but I think it needs a mate to produce fruit

Rich said...

You'll save a fortune by being self-sufficient in pineapple!

Good luck with the growing. If one of the babies needs a home...

omally said...

I hope you don't take as long as the bloke in the link. It did look much nicer compared to the two shop-bought pineapples though.
Good luck!

omally said...

And yes: I *do* like Pina Coladas, thankyou.

Scott Johnson said...

Pina coladas (and Rupert Holmes songs) are indeed on my list of things that are good. Hope the pineapple thrives!