Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Watching flowers in the rain

Some people like gladioli, some people like dahlias. I like lilies, and they've been quite successful this year. I bought a few cheap bulbs from a DIY shop, not expecting great results, so was pleasantly surprised by the size and quality of the flowers that were produced - and they're sweetly scented to boot. This white one bloomed a few weeks ago and we could enjoy the scent when we sat outdoors.



This pink one is flowering at the moment, so I've brought it indoors where it's scenting the sitting room, and not being rained on.



There's another one (of a totally different variety that has much smaller, unscented flowers) that's been living outdoors for donkey's years, and is still managing to bloom each year despite the onslaught of the horrid lily beetles (which at least have the courtesy of being bright red so you can pick them off and squish them), which has the curious habit of producing little bulbils on the stem, which produce leaves and roots while still attached to the parent plant.



These bulbils can be picked off carefully



and potted on to eventually reach flowering size. Not wanting to count chickens but with luck I'll have a lily-beetle banquet in a few years.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

TROUTY SAYS:
Ooooh lovely!
Last year I grew lilies for the first time. They turned out to be a lovely dark red.
I left them in the same container and was pleased to see them coming again this year. When they flowered this time, they were pure white.
Is this normal?

Jeangenie said...

How odd, Trouty. I've never come across that happening before. I wonder what colour it'll be next year!

(Are you well, by the way? I've been wondering how you're getting on.)

Anonymous said...

Scent? Yuck! I wish I could enjoy lilies but they don't like me.

Congrats on your success, my skill in the garden is definitely leaving things to get on with it!

Maris
Mwah!

omally said...

Ah, lillies are fab. Had a bunch recently, they stank the house out for about 3 weeks! Better than the usual pong from our ghastly cats, though :)

Anonymous said...

TROUTY SAYS: Hi Jan. I tried to email you but the old hotmail address doesn't seem to work any more.

Jan said...

It should, Trouty - I haven't changed it.