Monday, April 25, 2011

I really wanna know

Last time I was looking for a puppy it took ages. I spent about a year getting my name on waiting lists and visiting litters, but although all the puppies were sweet there wasn't one that said "Hello, I'm yours" to us. Then we heard of a litter where there were six dog puppies and one bitch; it was essential that the chosen pup was a bitch, so I didn't hold out great hopes for this one. Still, nothing ventured and all that, so we went to see them. I scanned these seven puppies on the floor, and my eye was caught by one in particular. I bent down to pick it up - and it was the bitch. So we had her - and Clover was a very much loved member of our family.

Well, I'm not really sure how it happened - one casual email has had a rather surprising result. I expected to go through months and months of fruitless enquiries but I seem to have paid a deposit (refundable if the BAER result is unsatisfactory) on a four week old baby:





we walked into the room they were in, and all the puppies were asleep except for one, who was sitting near the door looking up at us; and this was the only available bitch, the one the breeder had suggested we might be interested in. I bent down to stroke her face and she seized my finger and started sucking on it.

All being well she comes to us at the end of May. But she needs a name ...

18 comments:

Trouty said...

She looks like a Camilla to me..... but I wouldn't wish that on her.
She's a lucky girl.

Claire said...

Chuffed for you!
She looks gorgeous...reminds me of the oreo icing the local bakery shop uses on its oreo cook cupcakes. But I'm sure I can come up with something better than oreo...

Jan said...

@Trouty; we have a niece called Camilla, so that won't do.
@Claire; I don't like Oreos. Sorry!

omally said...

Henrietta!

omally said...

Or Sandy (as in Denny) :)

Trouty again said...

Ooooops. I was thinking of quite a different Camilla.
How about Katie or Middy? Topical.
She's beautiful so how about Bella?

silver horde said...

She's adorable, a very 'lucky' pup!!

Anonymous said...

Ooh! Wot Mallers said. Hetty for short. She's beautiful! Maris. Mwah!

Wendy said...

Looks like a Honey to me. :)

Jan said...

Daisy's a front-runner at the moment.

danast said...

I must admit Daisy was the first name that came to mind after Clover was mentioned and I tried to connect the two. She is just beautiful, your new wee girl.

Anonymous said...

How about Judy Judy Judy?? Has a certain punch to it!!

omally said...

Ahhh, Daisy is a goodun! Yes, she looks like a Daisy. Not literally, of course - she looks, primarily, like a Dalmatian pup but you know what I mean. :)

omally said...

*ahem* Can't leave it on that number of comments, by the way.

:)

Cottage Smallholder said...

She is so gorgeous :)

One of my dogs lived with me for a year without a name - just Nipperty as nothing else suited him.

Eventually I called him Fly - the switch from Nipperty to Fly was seamless.

So you have plenty of time to decide.

Anonymous said...

My suggestion is Maisie! I like Daisy too. Or Bob. Don't, whatever you do, call her Lucky. Must be the most unlucky name in the world. TTFN! Lorrie xxx

Claire said...

I always liked the name Perdita, or Perdy, from the original 101 Dalmations. (Bit better than Oreo, which is a rubbish name!) I like the Hetty suggestion though! xx

NigelH said...

It's going to be Daisy, isn't it?