Sunday, April 10, 2011

I know I'm not super hip and I'm liable to take a slip

There I was, happily putting in extra-curricular hours designing advertising material even when the sun was shining and there were a squillion things I could be doing outside, absorbing UV rays and converting them to strong, healthy bones so that I don't crumble to dust in the next puff of wind, when I realised that I was actually concerning myself about whether 'the market' gave a tinker's cuss about the shape of the background.

You see, I realised the Evil that is Political Correctness has insinuated itself into my mind, and I was actually troubled about whether using a 6-pointed star background to advertise pet food might offend Jews or whether a 5-pointed star might might indicate witchery.

I must bleach my this contamination from my brain. It is utterly intolerable, not to say appallingly patronising, to start wondering whether random pretty shapes might prove offensive to anyone. That suggests that they don't have the intelligence to see that a shape is just that, and contains no subtle meaning behind it. If anyone's offended by a shape, get over yourself.

I never thought I'd sink so low.

3 comments:

omally said...

Make a 6 pointed star out of pork chops already. It IS for pet food after all.

;)

N said...

Sure, you say that now, but wait until you try and use a four-pointed star that looks like a shuriken and the ninjas come after you.

Vera said...

I have a tendency to make things more complicated as well for myself when writing my books. I look at things from all sides and get into a right tangle. I guess it means that we have naturally investigative minds!