Tuesday, June 07, 2005

How bizarre, how bizarre

It seems someone saw fit to give the Leamington loonies a half-holiday today. It was a lovely sunny day, and I left work with a good feeling that I’d got a lot done. I crossed over the junction and walked on the wide (about 10-foot) pavement towards Adelaide Bridge. As usual I walked by the railings on the left, away from the kerb, which leaves plenty of room for pedestrian traffic to pass – which was why I was a mite surprised when a straggly-haired chap carrying a plastic petrol can deliberately moved across the pavement towards me. Not wanting to collide with him I moved to the right to pass him, and to say I was surprised when he put out his hand and deliberately shoved my shoulder hard, sending me stumbling across the pavement, would be an understatement.

He stalked on along the road and, as a bus was turning down the narrow junction by my office, walked into its path and thumped the (fortunately empty) petrol can on the windscreen. Luckily the driver was taking the corner slowly and avoided hitting the weirdo, who walked around the side of the bus, thumped the can onto the side windows before carrying on as if his behaviour was perfectly normal.

Maybe that actually is normal in LoonyLand.

0 comments: