Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Where i stole the margarine

Shrove Tuesday again (already?) and once more I wish that I was better at making pancakes. It’s not until I get to the last of the batter that they’re turning out reasonable, although I’ve never (yet) made such a pig’s ear of them as Yvette Fielding did on Blue Peter all those years ago. It doesn’t help that, although we have four, I don’t really like any of our frying pans. Two are designed for a range and are too big for the hob; one’s too heavy for me to handle and the third, although a nice weight, has a warped base because it’s basically too cheap and starts melting on application with heat. Not ideal really. I used to have a nice frying pan but the bakelite handle (that dates it!) finally perished and fell apart at critical places, so that when you lifted the pan off the heat to dish up your creation it tended to spin round and deposit its contents on the floor (if you were lucky. If you weren’t you got scalding food landing on your foot after it bounced off your front). However blaming the tools doesn’t get around the fact that I really need to make twice as much batter as we need so that by the time the first half’s been used up in making crud to give to the dogs I’ve got the hang of it and they’re turning out properly. And no, I don’t even attempt to toss them.

0 comments: