Saturday, March 18, 2006

Down the trail the cowboy way

Specially for Jane, here’s an update on my Bro, who decamped from hospididdle yesterday and is now safely back home again. The pain-killers are pretty much doing their job, and he says he’s certainly in no more pain than he was before the op. Unfortunately they’ve had their usual side-effect, and he and his wife are awaiting with interest the result of all the figs and other lubricants he’s taken. I’ve put on a bet for 4.32pm on Monday. A chap in the ward who’d had both knees operated on got caught short in the small hours a couple of nights ago, and it took 3 nurses over half an hour to clean him, his bed and the surrounding area. Even the ceiling was stared at suspiciously in case a hose was going to be needed.

Anyway, he’s been told he must only use his bionic leg for balance for several weeks, and use two crutches to get about. He’s managing to get up- and down-stairs so he’s not too trapped. He says he gets cramp in his feet at night and can’t reach down to do anything about it which is a bugger, and his heel’s getting a little tender. I suggested resting his lower leg and foot on a pillow in bed to take some of the pressure off it, and help the fluid drain away. With a bit of luck he’ll be gambolling like a spring lamb again before too long!

Update 19th: I lost my bet. I'm told the earth moved last night, shortly after I spoke to him on the phone. Perhaps my middle name should be Senna.

0 comments: