Saturday, May 13, 2006

Accidents will happen

As we were driving home through the village we saw stopped traffic and a bit of a crowd opposite the Post Office. The people parted slightly and there was a small dog lying in the road. I got out of the car to see if anyone had called the vet – people were trying to resuscitate the little thing – then I saw the fallen zimmer, and I knew whose dog it was (it’s not a big village!). A lady I often speak to when she’s waiting for the bus to take her to visit her Downs syndrome son who’s in a coma in hospital with no hope of recovery has now lost her little dog as well, because someone was driving too fast through the village. I don't know whether the fact that he's Polish is significant, but my friend wishes he'd stayed there. Ned and I drove her home and I carried her little dead dog in and laid her in her basket. A person's life can change in a split second.

0 comments: