Friday, May 12, 2006

And we could curse in fluent kangaroo

It was my first totally solo shift today, and nothing seemed to explode, not even my head, although right at the start it was a close-run thing. I got there in good time to open up and fire up the computers before the vet arrived, but the reception computer arsed about and took three goes before it was happy to play ball. By which time the first client had arrived, and the vet, and someone phoned to make an appointment (“can I call you back in 5 minutes please?”) and I only just managed to get all the screens up before the client came out to pay. After that it settled down to a steady trickle, giving me enough time to make sure everything was completed without being rushed. Which was nice. I only had to phone for advice a couple of times (“A lady’s cat’s had kittens – when should she start weaning them? Not before 6 weeks? Blimey!”) and I found the right wormer for them and even a helpful syringe. It was typical that someone came in to dither about what they wanted 5 minutes before I was due to close; luckily I’d already mopped the floor and phoned through the re-order so I wasn’t too late out. I think the only thing I’ve forgotten is to complete my timesheet.

On Tuesday morning I get to assist with a cat castration. That’s done under a local anaesthetic – I assume I’ll be at the end with teeth and claws; could be interesting!

0 comments: