Wednesday, June 30, 2010

And I will give to you summer wine

After the required 48 hours had passed I dutifully strained the elderflower cordial through muslin to remove all the flowers and lemon and decanted it into sterilised bottles.



I was rather surprised this morning to find that it's started fermenting, which isn't at all what I'd intended; my plan was to have a soft drink and not an alcoholic one! It's been put in the fridge to slow it down for the moment (I really don't need glass bottles exploding!) but the fridge isn't really very big, so that can only be a temporary measure. I don't really want to haul out a demijohn and all the winemaking paraphernalia to fail to make a drinkable wine. I might have to add a little vodka or gin to stop it, but again that rather defeats the object. Drat.

3 comments:

silver horde said...

Looks good, you'll just have to drink it! We have gingerbeer exploding almost every time we make it!!

Lord Hutton said...

I must say it looks remarkably similar to what I get when I drain my Bokashi bins

omally said...

Don't worry about a thing, Jan - just keep it all safe til August then we'll help dispose of it for you.