Friday, June 11, 2010

When your feet just can't keep still

I thought a particular style of footwear was hideous the first time I clapped eyes on them a long time ago, and nothing in the intervening years has changed my mind on that point. But I thought that they might be useful for trudging across a dew-soaked campsite at first light rather than donning wellies, so I tried on a pair in the shop (as well as you can try on shoes that are fastened together with a security tie, making actual walking in them impossible) and my neuroma didn't immediately have hysterics, which was a plus. So I bought them.

What a mistake. Why on earth did I think that a normal-shaped pair of feet (yes, they are normal!)



would ever be comfortable in something designed for ducks?



Just look at the difference in width!



How on earth are they meant to stay on, short of actually stapling them to your feet? Yes, I know there's a heel-strap, but that's much shorter than the shoe itself



which forces your foot forward and makes them agonisingly uncomfortable. In fact the only way to get them to stay on your feet is to wear a couple of pairs of thick hiking socks ... which rather defeats the object, because the dewy grass will soak the socks.

Now, if I had feet shaped like this they'd fit like a ...



I wonder if I can get my money back.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

TROUTY SAYS
I couldn't agree more, JG.
I've never been able to understand the fascination with those monstrosities either.
Very fetching pair of feet in that last photograph. Are they Ned's?

NigelH said...

They probably rolled down the shutters and ran home after you'd gone.

omally said...

Odd. Mine are quite comfy. Did you get the right size? I think mine were slightly bigger than necessary because they didn't have any my size and I thought it wouldn't matter.
Maybe trade in for the next size up?

Jan said...

A bigger size would be even wider, Mallers.

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't have sacrificed your principles! (Notes Status Quo are playing Cropredy and wonders about principle held for 35 years)
LH

Claire said...

Thank god I read that before I was ever tempted by the evil of the Croc!! If the shop won't take them back ebay them. brand new, still boxed, recipt to prove they're genuine and you should be able to sell them...
Unless everyone in the world reads your blogg!!

Jan said...

They did take them back and give me a refund. :)