Monday, April 26, 2004

Feeling hot, hot, hot

I had a phonecall from Ned this evening – they’re doing okay so far. They set off from their billet (a brewery!) in Newburn this morning, aiming for a pub for lunch. The one marked in their guide was shut. So was the next one, five miles on. Their spirits lifted when they saw a sign for a tearoom. That was shut too. So they carried on foodless all the way to their next stop in Wall. They arrived there at about three o’clock, and had a drink. By the time Ned phoned me at seven they were all a tad on the tipsy side and I was his ‘best friend’. Oh dear. He’ll feel rotten for the next stage tomorrow (his birthday!).

An unusual domestic situation has arisen at Genie Towers. The weather has been so lovely the past few days I decided the time has come for the central heating’s seasonal shutdown. So last night I duly clicked the switch to ‘Off’ and went to bed. To say I was somewhat startled this morning to find the radiators warm is an understatement! I double-checked the control – yes, it was clearly in the ‘off’ position. I have had to turn the main thermostat to its coldest setting in the hope that will override the other control. Otherwise the house will be an oven.

0 comments: