Tuesday, April 06, 2004

I hope you like yamming too

Last night’s family supper featured an adapted guest recipe from another blogger. Her version of sweet potato fries involved chipping the sweet potato and cooking it on a baking tray with olive oil. I got the impression that her family hated it (‘oily mush’ appeared to be the consensus of opinion), and roundly mocked her culinary abilities, but hey, I thought it sounded interesting.

Never having cooked sweet potato before I wasn’t sure for what it would be suitable accompaniment, so decided to play safe and serve it slightly differently. So with the tasty Cumberland sausage and beans I also prepared some champ (mashed potatoes and spring onions with butter and nutmeg), and my adaptation on the sweet potato theme. My thought was that, if the SP chips were soggy when roasted with olive oil (though it sounds yummy) perhaps if I cut them finely like American fries and deep-fried them in very hot oil they might be lovely and crispy.

They weren’t. Don’t misunderstand me, they tasted nice enough, but they didn’t live up to my hopes. Ned and the Boy duly ate them, though in a markedly unimpressed way, and happily weren’t very scathing.

Now all I have to do is work out what to do with the three dozen eggs Ned took canoeing and brought back. Options are limited because the Boy doesn’t eat eggs unless they’re cunningly disguised in cake. I think perhaps I may do some baking tomorrow.

0 comments: