Thursday, April 01, 2004

Rely on the little people

The more I hear about dishwashers the less I want one. We have one at work for all the hundreds of mugs and glasses that a dozen people can use in a day, and I often have to wash the so-called ‘clean’ crockery when the machine has finished doing its thing, to remove the remaining tidemarks. It’s wasteful and time-consuming running one that isn’t full, and I’ve often seen friends who have bought one have to remove a teaspoon, wash it, make cups of coffee and replace the dirty teaspoon again. Why not just wash it and put it away?

The dishwasher tablets are also terribly harsh in action. You can’t put quality glasses into them because the caustic action will ruin them. I’m not sure I want to eat from anything that has been solely chemically washed.

The final lunacy is that you can’t put dirty crockery straight into the thing – it all has to be rinsed first! Well, what’s the point of that? If you’re going to rinse it anyway why not just wash the darn things properly and call the job done?

It’s a lot safer and easier to rely on the washing-up fairies.

0 comments: