Tuesday, May 25, 2004

At the going down of the sun

I didn’t want to blog about anything particularly glum, because I was made very cheerful at work when I was told my second 6-month contract was going to be made permanent. The Big Bosses’ latest computer game project is getting terrific reviews, and it isn’t even released yet, so it looks as though the follow-up game will get the go-ahead. Our side of the company is also beginning to generate a bit of income, to the extent where we are cautiously dumping some of the totally non-productive or most time-consuming projects and put out feelers in other directions. It looks as though everyone’s job is secure for the next couple of years anyway. Hurrah!

However when I got home I found the latest issue of my old school magazine had arrived through the post, so I settled down to have a read and see what’s been going on. I read about the drama, the art, the music, the sports results (nowhere near as good as they used to be). Then it was time to turn to news of past pupils. That is when my mood changed. It’s very hard to read about your contemporaries, who you last saw going optimistically out into a bright world, and others the same age as your own child, being killed in war. Especially such an ill-conceived, illegal war as this one in Iraq. Bush and Bliar have a lot to answer for.

0 comments: