Thursday, May 27, 2004

Radio Gaga

My palpitations have just about subsided now, and the adrenalin level’s almost back to normal. After a childhood of listening to Radio One, I crossed the Rubicon to Radio Two when it started playing the Radio One music I liked, because Radio One had started playing crap instead. This meant I could carry on singing along to stuff I knew, and any new stuff was along the same lines; ie it had a melody and a lyric that wasn’t too obscene, and didn’t mention the word ‘wombat’* at all. (In between Radio One and Radio Two I spent a year or so listening to local radio, but I’m better now.)

Anyway. I have the radio on a lot, and just occasionally am tempted to enter competitions. I’ve never been bold enough to have a go at Ken Bruce’s Popmaster quiz, but I’m generally way out of my league there. Johnnie Walker’s Drivetime Mystery Voice is the one I’m most likely to have a go at. Just getting through on the phone is challenge enough, and then you have to make yourself sound like just the sort of person they want on the air. So this is what I did this evening. And guess what? They picked me to go on the show!! Resisting the temptation to calm the nerves with a pint of Bombay Sapphire, I settled for a glass of water and awaited my moment. And guess what? Despite sounding like a complete ostrich* (no, I’m not going onto the BBC website to listen to it) I won! Hurrah!


*According to SimonG’s swear filter

0 comments: