Tuesday, May 18, 2004

I'm just a girl who can't say no

Sometimes I suspect that I may have ‘SUCKER’ written across my forehead in big bold letters. I had a phonecall today asking me if I could do a home-check on a potential puppy-buyer for another Breed club member. This is something I’ve been asked to do a couple of times before, but previously for breed rescue. It’s not really an easy job, because sometimes people think you are judging them as people (though of course in some ways you are) rather than the environment, and they can get defensive.

Anyway, the breeder isn’t quite certain whether this particular person (we’ll call her ‘X’) would be suitable, because she (X) mentioned that the kennel was ready, and the breeder (we’ll call her ‘B’) wants her puppies to all live indoors – which is much better for this particular breed – they don’t thrive in kennels. So I’ve agreed to pop over to see X tomorrow, even though it’s about 15 miles away, and I had other plans for the morning. Then B mentioned in passing that another Club Member (‘E’) had told her that I lived locally to X, and would probably be willing to check the situation. Which is all very well, except that E lives several miles closer to X than I do.

Well, that was the first thing. An hour or so later the Club chairman rang me and booked me for August 7th at a do in Hanley Swan (bring rubber gloves) and August 28th at the Town and Country Festival at Stoneleigh (bring a dog). I have to admire her technique. Umpteen years of teaching at a girls' school has taught her all she needs to know to get people agreeing to things before they realise what they've said. She doesn't ask if you can do something, she asks when you can do it. Clever.

*note to self. Be More Assertive*

0 comments: