Monday, March 22, 2004

Come up and see me

I’ve been playing some of my Happy Music today. It is remarkable how soothing even very up-tempo music can be, as long as it reminds you of happy times. If I am having a meditation session, staring at a candle-flame, I like to listen to “From Genesis to Revelation”, “Demons and Wizards”, or “Relics”. Unfortunately there aren’t many opportunities to do this, because my copies of those albums are all on vinyl, so I’m limited as to where they can be played. Attempting serenity and tranquillity in the sitting-room with the rest of the household running amok all around is pointless! But given the opportunity all of those can transport me way outside my head into more colourful times, and after the first shock of the return the present seems less grey than when I left it.

Steve Harley was yesterday’s saviour. Listening to his early records (Judy Teen, the Psychomodo and the rest) instantly returns me to my teens, and doing exciting things, such as getting the train to London for the day, meeting up with schoolfriends and scouring the shops in Kensington High Street. We could easily spend the whole day in Biba – the shop was a magical place. There were the most gorgeous clothes in stunning colours, which were affordable even on our very limited funds, and it all smelt exotic. It was a beautifully sunny time when the present was easy and the future bright. The world was opening up to us, and all the paths offered glimpses of thrilling possibilities.

So despite being caught between realities, which is more than a little confusing, I must thank Steve (and the rest of Cockney Rebel) for the memories. You do indeed make me smile.

0 comments: