Friday, June 04, 2004

...in the key of Life

My plans of seeming efficient, capable and all-round great at work took a bit of a nose-dive today. The other two women I work with were both off, so I was going to be running ‘downstairs’ all by myself – manning (girling?) the phones, dealing with visitors, organising the website (which seems to have been delegated to me in its entirety), going to the post office and all the rest of the it. So I made a point of getting in nice and early, which was, in some ways, made easier by the fact that its halfterm so there’s less traffic on the road and more parking places in town. However, more choice means more indecision – would that be a better space than this? Will I be able to cut into the flow of traffic at home-time from here or will I be stuck for ages? Etc etc.

Anyway, I let myself in through the main door and headed for the first of the offices I would be running. Locked. My usual office? Locked. Okay, up the stairs I trot to Big Boss – can I have the keys to downstairs please? Clutching the ring of keys in my hot little hand I trotted down again … could I unlock the first door? Could I ‘eckaslike. After several minutes struggling I turned to the other door – no problems there (why is it always the fourth of four keys that is the right one? Why not the second or – perish the thought – the first?). I struggled for another few minutes with the first door, where one key nearly worked before I shamefacedly slunk upstairs to ask for help.

I’m not very good with technology.

0 comments: