Saturday, June 12, 2004

I've been driving in my car

I haven't yet decided whether I like or dislike spending money. Yes, it's great, and it's fun, and you have things afterwards, but on the other hand you haven't got the money any more to buy things with, and what if you've impulse-bought the wrong thing ...

But today was the turn of free money, so it didn't worry me so much. My winnings vouchers aren't accepted at M&S (no new bras then) or Hawkshead (no new other clothes either). They are valid at the Body Shop, but there's only a certain amount of henna a girl can take. So I decided to go technermerlogical. My beloved SLR (lost property from Westminster Abbey in 1976) will never be superceded but it is bulky, so a smaller digital camera is called for. We perused the catalogues, we asked for advice in 'proper' camera shops ("don't do it" was the general consensus), and decided on make and model. So off to Argos, which not only stocked the camera, but they also accept the vouchers.

But why were they charging £50 more than anyone else? Not acceptable. Sulkily we went home, and Ned checked the prices on their website. £50 less than the catalogue - what's going on? So he rang Head Office and was told it was discounted at the checkout. Hurrah! So we went to Leamington to buy it. They were out of stock.

We got them to phone the Banbury store, discovered they had one left, which we reserved, and sped 20 miles south, hoping that we'd get there before they shut. Huzzah and hooray - we got it! A forty-mile round trip.

So far I have managed to charge the battery, insert the card, and successfully turn it on and off again. PIctures may follow within the decade.

0 comments: