Wednesday, June 02, 2004

It ain't what you do

It’s a really cruel joke to give a person high aspirations but only average ability.

There are so many things I’d like to be able to do really well, but in honesty I can never aspire to being anything more than mediocre in them. I love music and singing, for example, but never got beyond Grade 1 in my piano exams (although it was with Merit), but I can play the Captain Pugwash theme quite acceptably on the recorder. For years singing was the only way I could vocalise to anyone outside my immediate family without stammering horribly and having everyone laugh at me. Fortunately I was pretty good at carrying a tune but was far too shy to put myself forward for solos just in case my throat locked. I’d also love to be good at painting, whether oils, acrylics or watercolours, I’m not bothered. All of them would be lovely. I can visualise the most beautiful images but despite years of training I still don’t have the technical ability to transfer them into two dimensions.

But what I can do really well is care, both in the physical feeding and nurturing, and also the mental shaping and encouragement whilst still allowing independence. To see the Boy tall and strong and intelligent (so why doesn't he do his revision?) and handsome (yes I know that’s down to lucky genes, but some of them are mine!) and nearly ready to face the world as a kind, gentle, thoughtful man, I think we're entitled (because Ned's input has been vital!) to feel an element of pride in a Job Well Done.

PS. I found the cake!

0 comments: